I’m told that CNN repeated this old thing today, though I can’t find it on their site. Here is OccupyWallSt.org’s version, though:
[women] perform 66 percent of the world’s work, produce 50 percent of the food, but earn 10 percent of the income and own less than 1 percent of the world’s property.
Long story short: it’s not true. I’ve dragged this out for more than a year now, since last International Women’s Day (#IWD). The most recent debunking, with links to the others, is here.
There’s lots of gender inequality. Women bear a disproportionate share of the burden from the world’s overall inequality. That means reducing overall inequality will usually help poor women especially, and addressing gender inequality will often reduce overall inequality.
I really don’t want to be the “gender inequality isn’t that bad” blogger. But the the 1% thing is really very factually wrong, and gender inequality in fact isn’t that bad. Before you think this means I’m not really down with feminism, just consider what this meme says about generations of feminists and all they’ve accomplished when it carelessly exaggerates the state of women’s oppression.
For some sourced statistics on women and gender inequality put up for the day, here’s a reasonable list from CNN. (CNN also ran a good Op-Ed from Stephanie Coontz, drawing from the symposium she put together for the Council on Contemporary Families, which I described the other day.)
On the plus side of the anti-meme effort, my pages on this do draw a lot searchers when this hits the news (a lot for this blog, anyway). There were a few hundred hits on the meme pages today, including ones drawn by these search terms, helpfully reported to me by WordPress, my host:
- do women work two thirds of all hours?
- worlds wealth women
- inequality facts women global 2011
- women work two thirds of working hours 10% of income
- women own less than 1 of the world’s property
- of the world’s income women only reiceve 10%
- women own less than 1% world property
- “united nations” women are half the world’s population, working two thirds of the world’s working hours
- international womens day meme
- women constitute half the world’s population perform nearly two thirds
- how much of the world’s wealth is owned by women
- women work two thirds of working hours 10% of income meme
- women own 1% of the world’s property
- 1% meme
- women are half the worlds population working two thirds
- women are half the world’s population working two thirds of the world’s working hours
- woman two thirds of the workforce own percent property
- what percentage of property is owned by women
- women quote population hours income
- how much of the worlds wealth is owned by women
- women are half the population, working two thirds
- women “10% of the worlds income”
- do women own less than 1% of the worlds property
- women are half the world’s population working two thirds of the worlds working hours receiving of the world income and owning less than 1 percent of the world property
- women are half the worlds population. working two thirds of the worlds working hours.
- meme international women’s day
- women are half the population work two thirds working hours
- women own 1 of property reference
- women make up 50% of the population, but own just 1% of the world’s wealth
- why work women constitute half the worlds population, perform nearly two thirds of it’s work hours
- women own 1% of wealth
- women 1% property false
- women property report 1%
- sfeminism stattisc about women
- feminist statistics 2011
- percentage of the world’s wealth owned by women
- women day own one percent two thirds work