Today is International Women’s Day.
I dream of a day when International Women’s Day is no longer necessary.
Secondarily, I also dream of a day when International Women’s Day will be commemorated without people repeating the inaccurate claim that women only own 1% of the world’s property and earn 10% of the world’s income.
Here is why:
- March 1, 2011: Stop that viral statistic meme. Showing the origins of the meme and why it’s not true.
- April 29, 2011: What is the 1% meme solution? Showing how widespread it still is (was).
- September 20, 2011: Follow the bouncing 1% meme…. It’s really commonly used.
- September 26, 2011: How much wealth for women? More than 1%. Some quick calculations proving the 1% thing can’t be true.
- March 8, 2012: International Women’s Day breathes new life into the 1% meme. How it comes back on IWD.
- March 19, 2012: A little geographic and demographic awareness might squelch the 1% meme. Disproving the land ownership claim using China alone.